A mini tummy tuck, also known as a mini abdominoplasty, is a cosmetic procedure to remove excess fat and skin from the lower abdomen. Like any surgical procedure, you will need to set aside ample time for a smooth recovery. Read on to discover helpful mini tummy tuck recovery tips for optimal results and healing.
What Does a Mini Tummy Tuck Procedure Involve?
Tummy tuck surgery is often in the top 5 surgical procedures for men and women, according to the latest plastic surgery statistics. Mini tummy tuck surgery involves the removal of excess fat and skin in the lower abdomen. This differs significantly from the full tummy tuck, which targets excess fat and skin all over the belly.
In other words, a mini tummy tuck is ideal for people with more fat and skin around and just below the belly button. And because of this, mini abdominoplasty requires fewer incisions, with surgeons only needing a single incision across the abdomen below the navel.
Ideal mini tummy tuck patients have comparatively less fat and loose skin around their abdominal region. They should be non-smokers and maintain a healthily stable weight for proper mini tummy tuck recovery.
What to Expect During Mini Tummy Tuck Recovery
Removing excess fat and skin is a considerable surgical undertaking, requiring you to look after yourself properly during healing for optimal results.
After a mini abdominoplasty operation, you’ll need help from a relative or trusted friend. Your doctor will advise against engaging in taxing duties after leaving the clinic.
During mini tummy tuck recovery, you can expect to:
- Look after the surgical scar, ensuring you drain the wound and apply clean bandages.
- Wear a compression garment for two to three weeks to avoid fluid build-up and swelling.
- Take medication like antibiotics and painkillers as prescribed by your doctor.
- Visit your doctor for scheduled appointments to assess recovery progress.
5 Effective Mini Tummy Tuck Recovery Tips
Recovering from a mini abdominoplasty operation takes around six weeks. However, you will require a few more months to heal completely.
Here are some essential and practical pointers for mini tummy tuck recovery:
- Get trusted, reliable help: Undergoing surgery leaves you weak due to the pain and lingering anaesthesia effects. As such, it’s important to have someone drive you home after the surgery.
- Eat a healthy diet: Supplying your body with the right nutrients allows it to heal properly. Your diet should consist of lean protein, high-fibre foods, fruits and vegetables. Stay hydrated as drinking water rids the body of toxins, promoting better healing.
- Follow a suitable exercise routine: Your doctor will recommend rest and light activity during the first three weeks after surgery. After all, your surgical scar won’t have healed fully, making it uncomfortable and painful. Nevertheless, some form of exercise is good for you. Short walks get the blood moving, improving the healing process.
- Tend to your scar as per the doctor’s instructions: After the surgery, you’ll have swelling and bruising around the surgical site. The doctor will advise you on how to care for the wound, prescribing medications to make the healing process more manageable if required.
- Keep a positive mindset: Getting a mini tummy tuck targets excess skin and fat. However, you won’t notice your desired results until the body heals completely. Therefore, you need to be patient. In addition, you must attend all follow-up doctor visits to ensure proper recovery progress.
Are you considering getting a mini tummy tuck? Contact the Harley Clinic and book a consultation with a specialist.