Acne is a common skin condition that affects many people at some point. It leads to oily skin, spots and skin that is painful to the touch. Acne is more common in teenagers and young adults. Some people, however, continue to experience acne even in their adult years.
What is Acne?
Acne is a chronic inflammatory condition of the skin that causes pimples and spots. It can occur anywhere on the body, but it’s more prevalent on the face, back, chest, shoulders and upper arms. Depending on how severe the acne is, it can lead to permanent scars and emotional distress.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Acne?
Some of the signs of acne include:
- Blackheads – these are dark or yellowish spots that have open pores at the centre.
- Whiteheads – they are like blackheads, except they are firmer and don’t have an obvious opening.
- Papules – lumps or red swellings filled with pus. Papules may feel sore or tender to the touch.
- Pustules – they have a similar appearance as papules, but there will be a white tip at the centre. Pustules are filled with pus.
- Nodules – they are larger lumps that are hard and can be painful.
- Acne cysts – this is the most severe sign of acne. Cysts are large lumps filled with pus. They look like boils and carry a greater risk of developing a scar where they occur.
What Causes Acne?
Four main factors contribute to acne:
- Hair follicles clogged by dead skin cells and oil
- Excess sebum production
The skin contains tiny holes called pores. Each pore opens to a follicle that has an oil gland and hair. The gland releases oil that helps remove dead skin cells for soft and smooth skin.
The glands can get clogged by a mixture of oil and dead skin cells, leading to blockage. A whitehead occurs when the top of the plug is white and becomes a blackhead when it’s dark.
At the same time, bacteria also get trapped in the plug. The immune system then reacts to that leading to pimple breakouts. Acne can also occur deep in your skin, causing hard and painful cysts.
How Can You Treat Acne?
Acne treatment depends on how persistent and severe the acne is. Cleaning your face daily and keeping your hair out of your face can help prevent acne flare-ups.
If you are prone to severe acne, however, there are treatment options available. The sooner you start the treatment, the better it will be managing your acne. ZO medical-grade skincare health products help treat and manage acne at any age.
ZO Acne Control – This is an acne-fighting formula. It works by helping control oil and neutralising acne-causing bacteria. This prevents future breakouts.
ZO Complexion Clearing Program – Contains exfoliating cleanser, exfoliating polish, and complexion renewal pads. Also included is a complexion clearing masque. The package helps reduce excess surface sebum. It also exfoliates the skin to unclog and cleanse the pores to prevent acne breakouts.
ZO Correct + Conceal – This is a spot corrector that helps conceal skin imperfections. The product works by exfoliating the skin to remove dirt and dead skin cells. The added tea tree oil helps keep your skin clean to prevent future breakouts.
ZO Instant Pore Refiner – The lightweight serum smoothes skin, minimises pores, and reduces the amount of oil on the skin. A combination of potent ingredients work together to exfoliate dead skin cells to prevent build up which could lead to breakouts.