Good skincare is not an indulgence; it’s essential. A good skincare routine usually depends on factors like:
- Your age
- Skin conditions you may have like allergies and acne
- Your skin type
Prevention is often easier than correction. So, there’s never a better time to start a good skincare regime. Let’s talk about skin health.
Does Good Skincare Make a Difference?
The skin is the largest organ whose primary role is to act as the first line of defence, preventing the entry of harmful agents like bacteria and pollutants. Injuries and skin diseases can leave your skin prone to the entry of infections. Your skin serves other functions that help keep your body in optimal health. For instance, the skin helps regulate temperature through processes like sweating and vitamin D production when exposed to UV rays.
Your skin will also be the first to reveal underlying health conditions you may not even know you have, like bleeding disorders, liver disease, anaemia and lupus. Skin problems usually cause pain, itching, and irritation which may affect your quality of life.
Investing early on in your skincare routine will protect you from harsh weather conditions and keep you looking your best all year round. Using good skincare products keeps you looking more youthful and radiant. You feel good when your skin looks better, giving you a fantastic confidence boost.
Dewy, healthy skin needs a regular routine. Strengthen your skin and prepare for the ageing process. Often, prevention is easier than correction. That’s not to say you can’t treat issues as they arise. Research shows that practising a good skincare routine can also help manage stress and improve your overall mental health. And skincare doesn’t necessarily mean looking after the skin on the face only. Skincare should involve your skin from the scalp to your toes.
What is a Good Skincare Routine?
A good skincare routine usually involves cleansing and moisturising. Cleansing is crucial since it helps remove dead skin cells and dirt. It also helps prevent acne and pimples. However, the cleansing process can dry your skin since the products strip your skin of natural oils. Because of that, moisturisers are a must-have to help restore moisture and protect the skin.
When cleaning your skin, it’s recommended to use skin cleansers rather than your traditional bathing soap. Liquid cleansers usually contain moisturising ingredients and vitamin E to moisturise and help retain skin elasticity. To maintain good skin health:
- Maintain your regular skincare routine.
- Avoid scrubbing your skin with harsh products.
- Ensure you drink plenty of water to keep your skin supple and hydrated.
- Eat a healthy diet with enough vegetables, fruits, seeds, nuts and fish.
- Get quality sleep every night to prevent the effects of ageing.
- Find ways of dealing with and managing stress since stress can wreak havoc on the skin, making you look older than you are.
- Avoid unhealthy habits like smoking and limit your alcohol intake.
- Always examine your skin daily for signs of disease like discolouration, bleeding or itching and seek treatment immediately.
- Always consult an expert dermatologist or plastic surgeon if you have any skin concerns.
- Practice good skin hygiene, like ensuring you remove all makeup before you sleep.
ZO Skin Health: Cleanse, Exfoliate and Treat
The quality of the products you use on your skin can impact the outcome. ZO Skin Health uses powerful ingredients and unique delivery systems. Products are inspired by world-renowned dermatologist Dr. Zein Obagi and target several problem areas like hyperpigmentation, ageing, acne, and rosacea.
When it comes to skincare, you must start by looking at your skin type. The main skin types are:
You can then find the right products and routines most suitable for your skin type. But what’s a good skincare routine, and what products should you use?
- Cleanse – this is what you use to wash your face. It needs to be gentle enough for the face and intended for your skin type.
- Exfoliate – next; you need to exfoliate. You can do this once or twice a week, depending on your skin type. It helps to remove dead skin build-up for smoother skin and clearer pores. Consider using ZO Skin Health Exfoliating Cleanser or the ZO Skin Health Exfoliating Polish to exfoliate your skin.
- Treat – if you have a specific issue, the next step is to treat it. This is achieved by using a specific product, such as acne control or refining pores.
- Maintenance – to promote overall skin health and improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, ZO Skin Health Daily Power Defense and Bright Alive are a great combination.
Skincare at the Harley Clinic: What to Expect
When you come to the Harley Clinic for skin care, you can expect a multi-pronged approach to skin health. Often, ski ncare is a package of treatments and methods to give you a more rejuvenated and youthful appearance. Some of the most common skin complaints from patients are about looking tired and ageing concerns.
Every patient has a unique skin type and will need a plan that is formulated just for them. If you visit the Harley Clinic to improve your skin, here is the type of package you can expect:
- Enhance skin health – we discuss your skin needs and goals and create a regular skin routine for you to follow at home with recommended high-quality skincare products.
- Botox – if you’re looking to combat the signs of ageing, you may consider botulinum toxin. It can soften wrinkles and fine lines, reducing the appearance of ageing.
- Fillers – dermal fillers can add volume and give fullness to the skin. Improve facial contours and restore fullness that commonly decreases with age.
Good skincare is essential for maintaining a youthful appearance and healthy skin. You can maximise your results by combing skin treatment with injectables and achieve a completely rejuvenated look.